September 28, 2010

How We (Sort Of) Afford Our Baby

Since we are now a one-income family, I want to contribute to our budget, rather than be a drain, to ease some of the pressure my adorable husband feels. Since I am making it up as I go along, here are some of the things we do to help out:

  • Breastfeeding - Even though it was very difficult at the beginning, I really enjoy being able to nurse Caden. Plus it saves us a TON, since we don't have to buy formula! I invested in a pump after he was born, which was expensive, and if I had a do-over, I would buy a used one, but it is essential for travelling with a baby.
  • Cloth Diapers - I LUV the BumGenius cloth diapers we use. They are so easy! We still have a stash of disposables for when we are out and about, and we had to use them while Caden was still under 8 lbs., but in the near future, I plan to only use cloth. As soon as I am brave enough to carry a wet bag. These were a definite investment, but they have already paid for themselves, and I will be able to use them for multiple children, with only a few minor adjustments (replacement velcro, elastic). This experience was also invaluable, since I got a LOT of helpful information on other ways to save money from the helpful ladies at Cotton Babies.
  • Craigslist - Mike and I scour the free section of Craigslist daily, looking for stuff we need, or stuff we can fix up and sell. So far, we have not paid for a single piece of furniture in our home, and it will (hopefully) provide a small boost to our savings.
  • Buying Second-Hand - The few things we have actually had to buy for Caden have come from Once Upon A Child. We also took in the shower gifts we didn't need (wipe warmers, disposable diapers, extra bedding sets) and got cash/credit.
  • Taxes - Michael did our taxes up until last year, when we could not e-file because we were getting the new homeowner tax credit.

Here are some things I plan to start doing in the near future:

  • Cleaning - I already use vinegar and baking soda to clean everything in our house (recipes here, here, and here), but I want to try the recipe for laundry detergent and fabric softener found here.
  • Food - I think food made from scratch is so much better than store bought, so next year I want to try growing our own veggies. We'll start out small, just tomatoes since we eat more pasta than other small countries. Maybe I'll try the square foot garden. I also want to make my own baby food, once Caden starts eating solids.
  • Line Drying - Since we can only run either the air conditioner or the dryer at a time, I want to get a clothesline up ASAP. This is also better for our cloth diapers, since the sun helps bleach out any stains that may happen.
  • More Food - Use the Grocery Game to get the best deals, Utilize the Angel Food Ministries in our neighborhood, and get a membership to Sam's Club, so we can buy our staples (chicken, pasta, rice) in bulk.
  • Eating Out - I want to try committing to only eating out once a month. And actually sticking to this committment.
  • Baby - I am looking into either making my own disposable wipes, or even cloth.
  • Haircuts - I already cut Michael's hair, and I plan to do the same with Caden. So I'm the only problem with this one. Suggestions?

I'm sure there are plenty that I've forgotten, and if you have any suggestions for other ways to save, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment